A Flashback

*This is an entry for the May Blog Of The Month competition.

I opened the wallet,
to pull out a card.
A photo fell out
on the grass of my backyard.

Picking that photo, 
I stood there shocked.
Surroundings seemed to disappear away, 
and I was moment-locked.

My fingers trembled and my heart missed a beat
the photo was of my beloved sister, deceased.
Her love, still, I hold close to my heart,
how her memory faded, I couldn't understand at all.

Looking at her photo for a few seconds,
my memories started becoming clear.
A smile appeared on my lips, the smile
that ached my heart, O' dear.

Memories of Sundays when you oiled my hair,
mocking your flat nose was indeed a fun part.
How fool we were to compare the eyes!
Ah! Those memories rip my heart apart.

Tears started flowing down my cheeks,
remembering you writhing in  pain.
Pain because of the God-damned disease,
that had disseminated like scattered grains.

Recalled your smile after every chemo,
that smile I wish I could paint.
O' you were brave like a warrior,
O' you were innocent like a saint.

Sis! You will always be in our memories,
shining like a rainbow in drops of tears.
Though we can't see you anymore,
but you are with us, right here.

- Saba Khurshid (Class of 2017)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Reflection of my moon