The Pathos of Love

Shakespeare once said, "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind." True love is a rare kind of love which the heart depicts and mind accepts. True love is free form the clutches of betrayal, dishonesty and deception. There are two types of love, one being the worldly love which we see around us. People meet, interact and then separate their ways suddenly and it seems like they never met. Some fake love intentionally and for some, true love is not in their fate. Those who fake love intentionally do it only for their own benefit and once their benefit is achieved, they separate themselves from love. Those who are not destined to love truly are decided by their fate, the unpredictable "Kismet". I want to share one of my life experiences in which I witnessed true love and saw it depart only because it was not fated.
True love knows no age. I had my Grandfather who loved me so much because I was the first child in my family. Wherever he went, he took me with him. I spent almost all my childhood abroad. My parents only used to come during the summer holidays. He waited for me for the whole
On February 14, 2015, I woke up one gloomy morning with my mother crying beside me, saying that Dada Abu had died due to a heart attack. We were in Saudi Arabia. I was regretful that I couldn't even see his face for the last time. I was shattered like a broken glass. I got so downhearted that I wanted to quit my life too. I had loved him so much but he left me so early. Time heals all scars but this scar, I think, will leave an everlasting wound on my heart.
All true loves are not destined to get accomplished. Shakespeare beautifully portrays true love in his play, Romeo and Juliet, in which they sacrifice everything for each other and in the end, they separate because they were not fated together.
People with worldly desires fake love, with their mind full of falsehood and their eyes depicting deception. They have no true feelings. According to T.S. Eliot, people who lack true feelings are hollow men. They are like empty straws. They deceive people because behind their every intention, their objective is their own benefit. Their false feelings are like cracked glass which can shatter any time and like feathers, which are easily blown away by heavy winds.
On the other hand, true love is the feeling which is admirable. Whether it is the lover or loved one, both feel exalted. Both are bound by the charisma of true feelings, honesty and sincerity. A true lover's eyes shine with honesty and sincerity and his mind lingers with the beauty of true feelings.
Every true love is followed by pathos and according to Mirza Ghalib, the path of true love is like a sea of lava. Allama Iqbal perfectly describes true love and its pathos. In his poem "Pathos of Love", he says:

O Pathos of Love! You are a glossy pearl
Beware, you should not appear among strangers

The theatre of your display is concealed under the veil
The modern audience' eye accepts only the visible display

New breeze has arrived in the Existence' garden
O Pathos of Love! Now there is no pleasure in display

Beware! You should not be striving for ostentation!
You should not be obligated to the nightingale's lament!

The tulip's wine-cup should be devoid of wine
The dew's tear should be a mere drop of water

Your secret should be hidden in the bosom somewhere
Your heart -melting tear should not be your betrayer!

- Arwa Nehdia (Batch of 2020)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Reflection of my moon