Ghostly Touch

It was my orientation day. I had a mixture of excitement and hesitation for university life. Our seniors took all of us through the different floors of FJ. When we were about to pass through marbles of DH, they asked to recite some kalimas. They scared us by saying, "Ssshhh koi hai". We were very excited, especially me, as I had heard many things about the first entry in DH. We had heard that on the first day in DH, many students became unconscious with fear.

When I first stepped in, a wave of fear passed through my backbone too. I felt a chill- Maybe it was coldness that I had perceived at the low temperature or maybe, as they said, it was due to some special power of ghosts that I had heard about. Many students took selfies with the cadaver and l felt very pathetic about this act. I also took one picture, not with the dead body but in DH, to feel like a doctor.

Then a day came when we had to practise OSPE, with all of us snatching different parts of the body. When we were done with OSPE next day, we were locked in a room that was none other than a graveyard with dead bodies and bad smell we had no words for. That night, when I was about to sleep, I compared my life with and without a soul.

Before death, man is in a struggle to get a "bed of roses", but does not know whether he gets a grave or is destined to be supposed as another ghost in the dissection hall.

Before death, he doesn't want to be touched harshly and gets mad at the one who gives him even the slightest bruise. Without a soul, he isn't able to move even a flea.

When he was alive, he was afraid of cadavers and skeletons. Now, he himself has become a fear for others.

I was confused. Was that it? Does it all depend on the winds of destiny and the storms of faith? If someone has an ill-fated end, he gets to become a story? A ghostly story in the dissection hall?
Soon, I learnt it. Ghosts exist for the living. For the dead, there is life hereafter. And when we are alive, even if we think once a week about life hereafter, we can move our bout of life in a better direction- free from the hands of the winds!

- Sumahir Jabeen (Batch of 2020)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Reflection of my moon