The Joys of Singlehood


*This is an entry for the February Blog of the Month Competition*
There's a very common saying that goes around here: Pyaar muhabbat dhoka hai, parh lay beta moqa hai! Love is nothing but betrayal, study while you can. This has been so deeply engrossed in my mind that I can surely say this is one of the solid reasons I'm still single (leaving out my relationship with Guyton and Hall at the moment, which I assure is totally one-sided because that weak bond is nothing but torture). Being single has its flaws, flaws that make you wonder, 'Is it finally time I go up to my parents and ask them to find me a human that'll make me feel less lonely and pay for my clothes and get me biryani whenever I crave it (which is very often)?' But then, the half of me that's still in its senses slaps my dramatic, lonely half back to its senses and tells me to go through all the stuff I won't be able to do once I officially tie the knot and honestly, I'm thankful for that half of mine.

Being single amidst the crowd of all your married cousins and older friends might feel awkward since you can't relate to whatever gibberish they're talking about. But hey, in the end, they aren't the ones going back to their homes and chilling till 2 AM while watching all those missed out episodes of Pretty Little Liars or reading The Hunger Games for the umptieth time. Not having to argue over what to watch on the television, what to wear or what to eat is such a blessing. And if anyone's wondering 'We can just watch stuff that interests us both', then sweetie, for how long? Human interests have to deviate at one point or another. Compromise is something every single relationship in this world demands. And being fairly blunt, everyone can wait till they add some bitter gourd in the field of life.

Being single isn't surviving, it's an art. It's the canvas you paint, the sculpture you carve, it's who you are. Don't let someone get in your life and ruin the scenery you portrayed using all the colors you love and make you happy. Rather, try to make your canvas as pretty as you can and when you're ready, show it to the world and wait till that one person asks to make your artwork even more glorious than it was before. It's worth all the biryani you can eat when you're too hasty.

Zoya Imran (Batch of 2022)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Reflection of my moon