Home; a different perspective

*This is an entry for the July Blog of the Month Competition

One busy day while driving around, I decided to meet someone very special as I was very exhausted.  As I stepped out of the car and my feet touched the green grass, I felt a slight breeze calming my body. And suddenly my tiredness vanished. Getting closer to him made me feel better.  And then I had a flashback of all the time I had spent with him.

Two years ago, when my parents and my brother went to hajj, I was sent to his house to stay there -- my khala's house. 

I've stayed there many times but this time it was different.  I had to stay there for two months and guess what? My finals were in 3 weeks. At first I was a bit shy but then he (my khalo) made this place a comfortable home for me. He used to get up early in the morning to drop me to university and looked after every little detail. He even sometimes used to wake me up in the morning so I wouldn't get late. We had breakfast together and having tea with him was the best part. Oh, and how can I forget him giving me his water bottle every morning filled with refreshing juice and he even checked that I took it with me. I don't know why but that bottle meant a lot to me. Some days,I became so possessive about it that I didn't even allow anyone to touch it.

Days passed by and I became part of the family.  I knew everything about my new home. I remember one day, I came from my university and was very tired so I directly went into the room without having lunch. He came into my room several times, I was a bit sleepy so I was lying in the bed, I thought he was searching for something. I was staying in my cousins room. Both of them worked so they went earlier to office. It was just me, khala and khalo only. After some time I slept. When I woke up  I asked khala about khalo coming to my room. She told me that my khalo was checking on me whether I was fine or not.
And suddenly I stepped over a rock and tried to maintain my balance. There was this smile on my face.

It was the day before my anatomy paper.  I was very worried because it was evening and I had a lot left to revise. And to add to my misery, the electricity went out. I took my books and sat in my khala's room. Talking and gossiping with khala and khalo, my time passed.  It was 7 pm and suddenly our UPS passed away as well. We all were drenched in our sweat. And obviously lesco people weren't cooperative enough.  So khalo went to the car. Turned on the Ac and called me to sit next to him and study.  He saw me read some pages but then he realized that i was exhausted, so he called khala as well and we went on a short drive around the lane. That short drive was so exciting,  i closed my book and started talking to khalo. Then he took us to have dahi bhalas and gol gappas. Believe me that gol gappas were the most delicious one I've ever had. Then we went on shopping and by the time we came back light had come back as well.  My mind was so refreshed that i revised everything so quickly after that.I really miss that drive sometimes. 

And Finally my exams were over. We all used to go out and tried new restaurants and different cuisines. One day we decided to watch a new movie. As we entered the cinema,  khalo told us that this movie is an adaptation of his childhood action crime series. And he even remembered every single character so he told us about then during the movie. It was also my one of the best memories. 

Making new memories is easy but forgetting old ones is impossible.  Last but not the least,  it was eid and he bought me a new dress which was lovely. After one week, my family came back and it was time to leave my new family. Then came the celebration dinner, i was very surprised when khalo ordered my favorite ice cream without letting me know and i realized he certainly knew every small details about me.

That's how my khalo whom i called uncle papa because he was more than an uncle to me and loved me like his own daughters made his house a home for me. I never felt homesick there because it became my home. Home, home is a place where you feel protected and comfortable,  where you live carelessly and where you grow with love and care.

Standing next to him now, i pulled out the roses and put it on his grave. I never imagined something like this can happen,  but life goes on giving you some regrets. It's been seven months and i visit him almost every few days.

I want to write more about him but my hands are trembling and as tears are going down my cheeks i can't concentrate.  I'm here, uncle papa - standing next to your ultimate home.

- Amna Imtiaz (4th Year)


Comments

  1. May he find eternal happiness in his new home :')

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Al-Baqqarah, Verse 222