"Memories" By Mehak Ayub Khan

*This is an entry for the May Blog Of The Month competition.

Summer was on the roll. I arrived at my cousin's place that afternoon. As the needle of the clock struck 2 at night, all of a sudden, the lights went out and all the electrical appliances sighed in relief.  The whispers that felt like the buzzing of a bee started getting louder and as they approached my ear and made their way to the hearing center in my brain, they got pretty clear too.

I tried not to get actively engaged in that hum and was about to take another ride on the roller coaster to the valley of dead sleep when a voice came crashing down my soul, like some fast moving freight train that has just passed over some living beings. All the other voices disappeared like the background sound in a movie and all I could hear was one of my relatives saying, “This girl, well, this girl! I could write it down for you couldn’t pass the entry test this time too, as she already has failed the last entry test by choice. And in case she manages to pass it by any chance; she cannot make it through MBBS. Oh, and let me tell you, she is doing nothing but peeling the skin off of her father and wasting her parents’ time and money.”

And yes, my friend, that was a disclosure. An open ended disclosure to what reality of life holds on the inside and sometimes the outside too. And, trust me, I wouldn’t have believed it myself until that very moment.

You might now be wondering how I managed to get through that situation. What have I done to survive in that situation and thereafter? Have I not drowned in anger and rage? Didn’t I stand up, roll up my sleeves and punch them right through their face? Asked them to take back what they just said?

As we all know and believe in, it had already been planned out up there, by the One Whose plans never go wrong. And He never burdens a soul more than it is capable of carrying. He knows when to ‘burn the bridges’, to lighten up the path for those who have long forgotten their paths, and that was my time, my moment, my turn.

It all makes quite sense now because when I look back into the past and start thinking to myself, “What if I hadn’t failed the first test? What if the light hadn’t gone out at that particular moment? What if I kept sleeping and hadn’t heard what I heard? What if I hadn’t gone through all that suffering and still be living the way I was?”. At that very moment a voice whispers to me, “Then you might not be sharing this memory in the blog of one of the most prestigious medical institutes in Pakistan.”

- Mehak Ayub Khan (Class of 2018)





Comments

  1. Indeed everything happens at a right time for the right reasons. You managed to beautifully portray what you went through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experienced the same.. Good job mehak 🌹😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Study in Holland
    Best guide for living & studying in Holland
    #StudyInHolland_TeamNC
    Apply Now http://bit.ly/2p08CIo
    Web Site: http://www.ncsolicitors.com/
    Head Office 042-111-325-627
    Mobile: +92-308-8881365-63
    Multan: +92-61-6220666,
    Mobile: +92-3008487766
    #TeamNC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Comprehensive USMLE Guide For Pakistani Medical Students (Part 1: USMLE - An Introduction)

Reflection of my moon